Carmel Parish History
The history of the Carmel Parish, Pune, dates back to the early 1970s. The Carmel Vidya Bhavan which is the CMI Study House established in Pune in 1943 took the initiative to look after the pastoral needs of the Syro-Malabar migrants in the city of Pune. Carmel used to render pastoral services for the people settled down in places like Khadki, Pimpri, Chinchwad, Vishranthawadi, Dehu Road and so on. Celebration of Holy Mass for the people in Carmel Vidya Bhavan started in 1973. At that time there were only three families. Fr. Gabinus Petta, CMI, the Rector of Carmel Vidya Bhavan in 1983, started organising the Syro-Malabar Catholics in Pune more systematically. In 1987, there were 10 families coming for the Mass and the Mass was conducted in the small Chapel of Carmel Vidya Bhavan. In 1988, the Carmel Parish Community was established by Bishop Paul Chittilappilly and entrusted to Carmel Vidya Bhavan. There were 30 families in it. The Mass was celebrated in the dining hall of Carmel Vidya Bhavan.
On 19th March 1990, the CMI Congregation generously donated a plot of land from the Carmel Vidya Bhavan in order to construct a Church for the Syro-Malabar Catholics of this area, at the south eastern side of the CVB, in Survey No. 26/4 A, admeasuring 124 feet on the north, 79 feet on the east, 152 feet on the south and 79 feet on the west. The agreement was signed by Fr. Vijay Anand, CMI, then Prior General, and Bishop Paul Chittilappilly, then Bishop of Kalyan. It was decided that the Rector of Carmel Vidya Bhavan would be the Vicar of the Parish. Then Rector, Fr. Andrews Athappilly was appointed the first Vicar. The above contract was renewed by Fr. Antony Kariyil, CMI Prior General and Bishop Thomas Elavanal, Bishop of Kalyan, on 19th March 2006.
In 1990 there were 60 families belonging to this parish. The foundation stone of the Church was laid by Bishop Paul Chittilappilly on 13th January 1989. Carmel Parish Trust was registered under the Bombay Public Trust Act- 29 on 15th July 1992 with Fr. James Aerthayil as the Chairman and Managing Trustee, Mr. Shaji John, 1st Trustee, Mr. Soby Sebastian, Secretary, Mr. P.A. Jose and Mr. K.J. Thomas as Board members. The Church was blessed on 18th February 1993 and it was inaugurated by the then Prior General Very Rev. Fr. Thomas Mampra, CMI. It coincided with the Golden Jubilee of the inception of the Carmel Vidya Bhavan in Pune. Fr. James Aerthayil was the Rector and the Vicar at that time. There were 80 families at that time.
When Fr. Anto Thekkuden was the Vicar, the Church was renovated and a Parish Hall titled “Chavara Hall” was constructed above the Church. It was blessed by Bishop Thomas Elavanal on 4th February 2005. On 5th July 2009, when Fr. Mathew Kaniamparampil was the Vicar, the Carmel community was declared a full-fledged Parish by the Chancellor Fr. Francis Eluvathingal.
In 2010, Rev. Fr. Mathew Kaniamparampil CMI, renovated the church and also built a new exit for Chavara hall, as a two-way exit, is a must to obtain the completion certificate. In May 2011, our vicar Fr. Mathew Kaniamparampil passed away in Kerala after a brief illness.
Boundaries of the Parish
Associations in the Parish
Wards of the Parish
St. Alphonsa Ward
Institutions in the Parish
Carmel Vidya Bhavan, CMI Seminary
Carmel Vidya Bhavan Pune
Carmel Vidya Bhavan Started on 1943 for the theological sand philosophical studies of CMI Scholastics at Pune. Under the management of Carmel Vidya Bhavan Christ college was started on the year 2008.
Rector: Rev. Dr. Peter Kochalumkal CMI